Thursday 30 December 2010

i'm a fool to want you

on monday night, i went to the 18th birthday party of one of my best friends who i've known since i was about nine years old! she's very interested in eras gone by, much as i am, so she had a 1940s themed party. a group of us clubbed together to buy her some vintage records we thought she'd like as a present, & i've just received a text saying she's just been listening to them & she loves them!
it was such a lovely night (even though a couple of annoying, inconsiderate people ruined it for me at the end, but we'll say no more about that) & i can honestly say cathryn - that's her name, by the way - is one of the cutest people i know. unfortunately, there really aren't any pictures of me from the night, but i have a few i took before i went.
this was my attempt at pin-curling my hair, although you can't really see as my hair is so dark in photographs! i was pretty pleased with how my hair turned out, as i have next to no experience in styling hair. in fact, i may have to try it again some time!
as the 1940s aren't really a decade i know a lot about, i didn't have much in my wardrobe that i could wear for such an occasion. thankfully my mother, amazing woman that she is, has forgotten more about decades of fashion than i could ever know so she was the perfect person to guide me.
i love this dress so much, the style isn't 40s in the slightest but the print is so i think i got away with it.
forgive the disaffected youth pose, my camera has a lot of trouble focusing in low light & this was the only shot that came out alright. this is pretty much the same outfit i wore in this post, so i didn't do any full length shots as it seemed slightly gratuitous to me. the only thing i'm slightly annoyed about is that i forgot to take a picture of the tights i wore as they were the most 1940s-ish thing about the outfit!

i'm wearing pearls in these photographs, but i decided to change my necklace at the last minute to this typewriter one i got for christmas from my cousin (the very same cousin who features in the post below!). i thought it was very appropriate, & of course it meant i could spend the night pretending i was one of those wonderfully mysterious women who spent the war working as a code-breaker. or something like that, ahem.
this will be my last post of 2010 (gasp), so i shall see you all in the new year! (:

4 comments:

  1. :| What a dress! Beautiful! Really... And I love your necklace too! If only I could wear this kind of clothes everyday! My mother bought me a new dress with black lace that I adore...! Have a happy 2011! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your dress. It's is beautiful.
    I haven't been to a themed party in a while. Maybe I'll have one. It sounds like fun.
    Happy new year!


    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute bow! You've inspired me to definitely wear a bandana today ;) x hivennn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that necklace :) and I LOVE your outfit x

    ReplyDelete

the wrote and the writ.