Friday 3 August 2012

There's a palm pushing at my side, a palm pushing through my hair.

Hello! This is post number two in my Rookie-related post trilogy, this time I am going to show you the top I got as part of the clothes/book/jewellery swap at the meet-up. The top has a lovely palm tree pattern, hence the song in my post title which is called Palms. It's by Slow Club who one of my favourite bands of all time, and I am currently utterly obsessed with this song and you should go listen to it now. Go.
 I think this might genuinely be one of my favourite outfits I have ever worn. I just really love how effortless it feels and how perfectly it sums up my aesthetic at the moment. It all came together in a way that is kind of different to the way I normally dress, but I just love that - and the outfit - so much. Strangely enough, it's also one of the cheapest outfits I have ever written about on this blog - after I took the collar off the total price came to £3.50.
I really feel like these three elements match so well together. In fact, this is one of the only outfits I have ever actually planned in my head before wearing it, as usually I just put things together as I'm actually getting dressed. I absolutely love the way this top hangs, the sleeves are so perfect. Also, you can see the scalloped edging a little better here. The skirt is actually a petticoat that I got from a charity shop for £1.50, along with an identical white one which was weirdly 50p cheaper.
Top - Rookie meet-up swap, skirt - charity shop, collar - River Island, flower crown - made by me, bare legs - my own.
I actually wore this flower crown to the meet-up! It matches the colours of what I'm wearing in a really serendipitous/spooky way.
It was kind of too hot to actually wear this outfit outside without my neck becoming way overheated, so I before I left for my new volunteer job at the charity shop I switched to put a necklace on instead. Here is a blurry disposable photograph of me doing so.
A close up of the palm tree pattern (although you can hardly see it!) and the floral pattern on my skirt. Today I got a compliment from one of the women I work with in the charity shop about my outfit (not this one), and she said she really liked how I'd put all the patterns together. I was taken aback a little bit because I don't think I really ever put together an outfit without "clashing" (urgh urgh urgh I hate using that word in a fashiony way urgh) patterns in some way. Not in deliberately, but there is barely anything in my wardrobe that doesn't have some form of print or pattern in it, so it has sort of become second nature to me. Plain things scare me a little bit.
1. I have decided I need to start writing more. Like, actually writing things instead of just thinking about it. I have emailed someone about writing a bit for them (vague sentence is vague), and I am going to start doing/writing my DIY submission for Rookie tomorrow.
2. I know my hair is in that weird blondey stage again, but I am too lazy/broke to book an appointment for the hairdressers to get it cut. I might ask them to do my roots as well, or I might do that myself. Has anyone got any bleach brand recommendations? You would really be helping me out if so, as the last stuff I used was lovely & didn't hurt my scalp at all, but there really wasn't much of it & it was quite tricky to put on. I have decided I'm going to go pink next though, basically I just want to be a beauty school drop out.
3. I have noticed that I'm over the 150 follower mark! This is so cool and so, so amazing! Thank you to all who read what I write, I will be working out some kind of giveaway to do soon I promise! (Probably feminism themed, and possibly with a copy of How To Be A Woman, as somehow I have three copies of those currently in my possession!)
4. I am currently moving things around on my blog a little bit, but because I am really lazy and not very good with technology it will probably look a bit strange for a bit. But please do bear with.
*
Until next time.

11 comments:

  1. That collar! I never knew I needed a fur collar until I saw this post! And this whole outfit in general is just really great. It's exciting to hear that you're going to be doing some more writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with that skirt! Also just noticed I'm included in your wee blog list at the side there - thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that furry collar is super cute <3 like a little teddy huging <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, another super cute outfit! Really love your fluffy collar and your hairband, they're made for each other!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That collar is amazing! And that crown is so pretty. Lovely outfit. :)
    xo, Tori
    http://generationscollective.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your posts remind me of something out of Rookie- swoon! I read your 'about me' and I swear we're practically the same person. I LOVE Meadham Kirchhoff, dressing up, feminism, Caitlin Moran (have you read 'How To Be A Woman'? Pure brilliance in book form), pinup girls and burlesque dancers. I also really love your blog; I didn't have to think twice about following you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss, that book is one of my favourites! Oh, thank you so much!

      Delete
  7. G U H that collar is one of the best things I have ever seen *__* Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow that collar is amazing! the crown matches perfectly too, i love it all! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous outfit!!
    x

    apreciarvintage.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

the wrote and the writ.