Monday 17 June 2013

Valley of the doll.

Hello! I am back in Newcastle for the summer now, and I have lots of plans that I am determined to carry out before September. One of my plans is to learn how to properly alter clothes, instead of just handing things to my mum when it all gets too difficult! I've bought lots of clothes in the past, mostly vintage, just because they're pretty and not because they actually fit, so this summer I am going to try to alter them all on my own.
This dress is the first piece I have finished! Well, my mum helped A LOT but I'm slowly learning. I bought this for £7.99 in a charity shop just round the corner from my student accommodation, I really will  miss being just a two minute walk from a thrift shop!
It has a cool spotty pattern which really reminds me of hospital gowns. Which, in a strange kind of way, I quite like. It feels like a costume from a weird 1960s psychological thriller film.
It has a really 1950s housewife vibe (although my mum says it's definitely from the 1980s), which I think really works with the hospital patient/thriller type thing. Very Stepford Wives, I feel.
I watched Addams Family Values for the umpteenth time yesterday which I think really influenced my thoughts about this outfit. I really love the character of Debbie, like the way she is dressed as the typical, demure 1950s housewife, but turns out to be a warped serial killer. I really love that subversion of the submissive wife trope.
 My hair is really hilarious at this point. It really needs cutting, bleaching and redyeing, but as I am currently trying to get a job I think I'm going to have to make the difficult move back to brown. The pink era could be over!
More housewife vibes from this glow in the dark ironing ghost my brother got from a Kinder egg like 15 years ago. I made this into a necklace a few years ago, I think it's so adorable.
Pin up girl poses forever. (Open bathroom door ruining everything forever)
Hopefully be back soon, I have several new clothing items which I am excited to post about! Also, I realised I recently reached over 300 followers on this blog, which is so amazing thank you everyone!  Although I have no idea what is going to happen when Google Friend Connect disappears, so who knows what will happen then!

14 comments:

  1. Looking gorgeous again! I must say, that dress is just lovely- I really like it with the knee-high socks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dress! Addams Family <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look perfect! That dress was made for you.
    xo, Tori Lynne
    http://generationscollective.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those Kinder toys!

    and that is the most gorgeous dress xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely dress! the pattern reminds me of sprinkles (jimmies in the uk?)! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely dress, and I love the knee-high socks! You look perfect.

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really great <3

    http://myperpetualperplexities.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pattern on this! Great job altering it. x

    Melissa
    http://wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow that dress is amazing, I love the print and you look so lovely and cute!
    xoxo

    alice c'n'r
    http://cutenroll.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  10. aah I really need to alter myself as well! My mom is my heroin when it comes to things like that, but actually I really need to learn it!
    Lovely post, my dear! I love how the dress turned out :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi honey, your blog is so cool,this dress is amazing and fits you perfectly! you've got such an amazing style and I love all of your posts! what do you think of following each other via bloglovin and gfc? let me know if you want, and I'll immidiatly follow you back :)
    kisses <3

    http://gowestyoungcowgirl.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool blog!

    http://fashionbytwogirls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

the wrote and the writ.